top of page
  • Writer's pictureEkene Uchenu

Renew Registration NSW All You Need To Renew Registration In NSW


If you meet certain eligibility criteria, you can renew your vehicle's registration online.

While renewing you may be able to make changes to details like your usage type and the registration term.

If you want to change the term, you must have bought compulsory third party (CTP) insurance for the same term. A change in registration term may also affect the inspection requirements.

Note: When renewing a conditional registration (non-standard vehicle) online:

  • you cannot change any details (operating conditions, term or CTP class)

  • CTP insurance is included in the registration - you don't need a separate green slip

  • any eligible concessions (including drought relief) will be applied automatically.


You cannot renew online and will need to visit a service centre if:

  • the vehicle has been unregistered for more than 3 months – you'll need to re-register it, or

  • you ordered special number plates within the registration renewal period, and you haven't received the new plates yet, or

  • the vehicle is conditionally registered and requires an inspection, or

  • the vehicle is conditionally registered and requires changes to the operating conditions.

A conditionally registered vehicle must be safe for use as detailed in the Certificate of Approved Operations.

Pensioner Concession Card holders

If you hold a NSW Pensioner Concession Card you're entitled to free registration for one vehicle where you are recorded as the registered operator. You may also be eligible for automatic registration renewal (not applicable for conditional registrations). Visit Automatic rego renewal for pensioners to learn more.

What you need

  • the vehicle's plate number or the billing number (available on your paper or digital renewal notice and digital Certificate of Registration)

  • a compulsory third party (CTP) insurance policy, commonly called a green slip (unless the vehicle is a trailer, caravan, or has a conditional registration)

  • most insurers will send your CTP information electronically to Transport for NSW (TfNSW).

  • the CTP term you buy determines the period of registration you can renew for.

  • an eSafety inspection report, commonly called a pink slip (if applicable)

  • Note: Inspection reports for light vehicles are only valid for 6 monthsfrom the date of issue. They must be used to renew a registration within those 6 months.

  • your payment (if applicable)

  • your concession details (if applicable).

In most instances, light vehicles more than 5 years old require an eSafety inspection. You'll need that inspection report if:

  • your registration renewal notice displays that an inspection is required, and the registration period is unchanged

  • the new registration expiry date will be more than 12 months after the previous registration renewal date when an inspection was required, such as:

  • you'd had a vehicle inspection and renewed your registration for 6 months, and this time you're wanting to renew for a 12-month term

  • you bought a vehicle that had had an inspection and was registered for 6 months, and you want to register the vehicle for a 12-month term.

How to renew

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.

  2. Select the 'Renew online' button.

  3. Follow the prompts to renew the vehicle registration.

  4. Keep a copy of the receipt for your records.


  • If you choose to pay with BPAY, keep in mind that it takes 2 or 3 business days to process, and the registration will not be renewed until TfNSW receives the full payment.

  • If you changed the term or usage, a new registration certificate will be mailed to the address of the registered operator within 7 days.

  • If a conditional registration, a confirmation letter and QBE CTP insurance tax invoice will be mailed to the registered operator.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page